PACSCL MANAGING DIRECTOR
Location: Library Company of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107
Reports To: PACSCL Board of Directors through the Board Chair, with administrative oversight by the Library Company of Philadelphia’s Edwin Wolf 2nd Director.
Job Type: Full-Time (35 hours)
Close: Sunday, March 29, 2020
Philadelphia Area Consortium of Special Collections Libraries (PACSCL) seeks a Managing Director to support its membership and operations. While reporting to the PACSCL Board of Directors, the Managing Director will be based at the Library Company of Philadelphia, who will serve as the employer and provider of benefits.
Established in 1985, the Philadelphia Area Consortium of Special Collections Libraries (PACSCL) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting its forty (40) library and archive members so they can collect, care for, and share with a world-wide audience, collections that comprise an internationally important body of unique materials for students, scholars and lifelong learners at any level. To that end, PACSCL works with its diverse member institutions of special collections libraries and archives, promoting both a supportive special collections community and leveraging the power of collaborative work through grant-funded special projects. More information on PACSCL’s history and special projects can be found at https://pacscl.org/about.
With its long-term administrator retiring in Summer of 2020, PACSCL now seeks to hire the organization’s first full-time executive to provide continuity to PACSCL’s steady success and guide the organization to the next phase. The Managing Director will run the membership organization, coordinate grant-funded projects, and promote a special collections community. The new managing director will actively participate in PACSCL’s strategic planning process slated for 2020/2021 and lead the organization’s strategic agenda together with the Board of Directors. PACSCL is seeking a passionate professional who is ready to optimize the organization’s new administrative structure and build and spearhead the organization’s membership programs and manage external relations. The successful applicant will demonstrate an authentic commitment to libraries, special collections, and archives.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with the Treasurer and Finance Committee to oversee fiscal management of the organization
- Work with Principal Investigators and Fiscal Sponsors to manage grants and funded projects
- Work with the PACSCL Program & Member Engagement Committee to develop and maintain informal and formal professional development, training, and networking opportunities.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the regional special collections community.
- Work with the PACSCL Communications Committee to maintain social media platforms and draft newsletters for members and other stakeholders.
- Support and coordinate work of Board Officers and Board Committees.
- Travel regularly throughout the region to attend meetings at PACSCL member institutions. Occasional evening and weekend work is expected.
- Proven success in an administrative, programmatic or management role, in a nonprofit or public sector organization, incorporating operational, fundraising and external relations functions in which the applicant played a direct role in organizational growth. Minimum 3 years preferred.
- High-energy person with vision and the capacity to mobilize others towards a common goal. Ability to operationalize ideas is a must.
- Skilled in working in a collaborative manner to build relationships with multiple external stakeholders, including academic institutions and institutional funders. Ability to navigate complex relationships and lead various members toward a common vision is a must.
- Effective communicator to multiple and diverse internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated ability in fund development, to include being the face of an organization in stewarding funder and donor relationships. Ability to oversee complex grant management and reporting is a must.
- Managerial expertise including budget management and working directly with a volunteer governing board to include board engagement and board education.
- Proven experience working with diverse populations, including experience in building bridges to develop relationships, trust and credibility.
This is a full-time (35 hour/week) exempt position. Some regional travel and occasional evening and weekend work is expected. Reports to the PACSCL Board of Directors through the Board Chair, with administrative oversight by the Library Company of Philadelphia’s Edwin Wolf 2nd Director.
Must be able to work at a computer/desk for extended periods of time. Job may entail exposure to fragile, rare historic materials and occasional exposure to high levels of various allergens that sometimes accompany them.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Library Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from diverse candidates.
Please follow these instructions in submitting your application. (1) Combine a letter of interest and resume into a single PDF document, with your surname as the filename, e.g. Surname.pdf (2) Attach the PDF to an email with the subject line “PACSCL Managing Director” and send to email@example.com.